Sunday, August 10, 2014

ASAP

A favourite abbreviation in the business world is ASAP: as soon as possible.

I hope that this doesn't become a favourite in the world of projects that I am familiar with as its a recipe for disaster.

If you think you've got schedule risk now, then it will amplify when everyone starts talking the unparametrised language of "ASAP".

For me 'as soon as possible' means 'when it fits into your schedule'! Not what the sage head that sets the empty target is thinking, I'm sure.

If you have a delivery date, give it. Set a deadline, and I can work out the resource and production implications of your request; absent those, the request has no temporal parameter, and I'll do it as soon is it is MY possible; not yours! And that does not equate to 'quickly', 'urgently' or lets play the 'we're the fire brigade now' game.

No comments:

Post a Comment